Loyalty and independent judgment are essential elements in the lawyer's relationship with a client. As a client of the Public Defender Office, you are entitled to be represented by a lawyer whose loyalties extend to no one but you. Because of the nature of the cases we handle and number of clients we represent, conflicts of interest do arise from our lawyers’ responsibilities to another client, a former client, a third person or from the lawyers’ own interests.
If we have a conflict of interest in representing you, we will ask the Court to allow us to withdraw from your case and a lawyer from an independent law firm will be assigned to represent you. That independent law firm is called the Office of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel and their contact numbers are listed below.
- Alachua County (352) 377-0567
- Baker County (904) 259-8091
- Bradford County (904) 368-3990
- Gilchrist County Felony (352) 375-0816
- Gilchrist County Juvenile, Midemeanor and Traffic (352) 377-0567
- Levy County (352) 542-2790
- Union County (904) 368-3900